Download HDFC ERGO App on


Car Insurance Policy FAQs

Do I need to have auto insurance?

Yes, the Motor Vehicle Act states that every motor vehicle plying on the road has to be insured, with a Liability Only policy at the very least.

Can I buy Motor Insurance policy online?

Yes. You can now purchase HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance online by using your Credit Card or online bank account.

Can I renew other Insurer policy with HDFC ERGO online?

Yes. Simply log on to and provide minimum details of your expiring policy and buy HDFC ERGO Insurance Policy online. Also avail benefits of the No Claim Bonus earned by you in full.

Can I renew my Motor policy online?

Yes, you can renew your HDFC ERGO Motor Insurance policy online by using your credit card or bank account.

What is a No Claim Bonus (NCB)?

Quite simply, it's a discount in the Own Damage premium payable when renewing your policy after a claim-free year. It is an incentive for driving carefully and avoiding accidents.

All types of Vehicles % of Discount on Own Damage premium
No claim made or pending during the preceding full year of insurance 20%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 2 consecutive years of insurance 25%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 3 consecutive years of insurance 35%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 4 consecutive years of insurance 45%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 5 consecutive years of insurance 50%

Can I transfer my No Claim Bonus Discount?

In the event that you want to shift your insurance policy from any other company to HDFC ERGO, you can transfer the No Claim Bonus accrued on your previous policy. You can avail the full benefit as you would with your previous Insurer.

What is a cover note?

A cover note is a temporary Insurance document establishing proof of Insurance with which you can register your vehicle. A cover note is valid for 60 days from the date of its issuance and is replaced by an Insurance policy.

What are the different types of auto Insurance available?

There are 2 types of covers available:

  • Liability Only cover - insures you against any legal liability following an accident involving your vehicle. It does not cover any damage to your vehicle.
  • Package cover - Insures all liabilities, as per the Motor Vehicles Act, as well as damages caused to your vehicle.

What are the different classes of vehicles which can be insured by HDFC ERGO?

We can provide both Comprehensive and Liability Only Policies for all the below mentioned classes of vehicles:

What documents do I need to submit when buying Insurance for my vehicle?

All you need to submit is a signed proposal form - in certain cases, with some additional documents, if applicable. Once that is accepted by us, you just have to pay your premium in full, by cash or cheque.

What is covered under a Package/Comprehensive Policy?

  • Own Damage to the Insured vehicle caused by:-
    • Accident by External Means
    • Fire, Explosion, Self Ignition and Lightning
    • Transit by Road, Rail, Inland Waterway, Air, Lift
    • Burglary, House breaking or Theft
    • Terrorism, Riots, Strikes or Malicious Acts
    • Earthquake, Flood, Storm, Landslide, Rockslide
  • Third Party Liability:-
    • Injury or Death of Third Party
    • Property Damage (TPPD upto Rs. 7.5 Lacs)
  • Personal Accident:-
    • Injury or Death of Third Party

Also includes reimbursement of Towing Charges, upto Rs. 1500 for cars, Rs. 300 for two wheelers and Rs. 2500 for commercial vehicle or actuals, whichever is lower.

Are there any specific exclusions under the Motor Policy?

Following are not covered in the Motor Policy:-

  • Wear & tear
  • Mechanical or Electrical Breakdown, failure
  • Depreciation, any consequential loss
  • Driving under the influence of Liquor or Drugs
  • Loss or damage attributable to War, mutiny, nuclear risks
  • Any contractual liability

What is IDV (Insureds Declared Value)?

The Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle will be deemed to be the ‘SUM INSURED’ and it will be fixed at the commencement of each policy period for each insured vehicle.

The IDV of the vehicle is to be fixed on the basis of manufacturer’s listed selling price of the brand and model as the vehicle proposed for insurance at the commencement of insurance /renewal and adjusted for depreciation (as per schedule specified below). The IDV of the side car(s) and / or accessories, if any, fitted to the vehicle but not included in the manufacturer’s listed selling price of the vehicle is also likewise to be fixed.

Not exceeding 6 months 5%
Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year 15%
Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years 20%
Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years 30%
Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years 40%
Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years 50%

How is the premium calculated?

The premium is calculated basis the Make/Model of your vehicle, its Age, Place of Registration, Fuel Type and Insured Declared Value (IDV).
The premium is also subject to certain deductions based on the Insured’s Age and Occupation and the No Claim Bonus earned by the Insured during the policy period. You will need to submit documents or particulars to avail of these discounts. In case you want extended coverage - for Personal Accident, Electrical / Non Electrical Accessories, etc. - you may have to pay an additional premium for the same.

Can I pay the premium for my auto Insurance in installments?

No, the law (Insurance Act, 1938) does not permit us to accept your auto Insurance premiums in installments.

During the policy period if I add accessories like a music system in my vehicle are they also covered?

Yes, they will be, as long as you make a written request to us, with a description of the accessories along with their value. You may also have to pay an additional premium.

What are the different types of Personal Accident Covers available for drivers and passengers?

An owner-driver is provided Personal Accident Cover of up to Rs. 2 lacs (for cars)/Rs. 1 lac (for two-wheelers). This cover can also be extended to paid drivers and persons traveling in the vehicle, on a named as well as unnamed basis.

How do I make changes in my policy?

Simply call our toll-free helpline 1800-2-700-700 and we'll guide you. All changes require a confirmation in writing from you and some may involve payment of an additional premium. The changes will be carried out within two working days of receiving your written request and cheque for the additional premium, if applicable.

What if my policy is misplaced?

Call our toll-free helpline 1800-2-700-700 and we'll advise you how to proceed. You may have to pay a small fee for a duplicate policy.

How do I renew my policy?

We will send you a renewal notice well in advance of your policy expiry date. Simply confirm acceptance of renewal and send your cheque for the premium to us at our correspondence address. You can also renew your motor insurance policy through the dealer / agent from where you bought your policy initially.

Do I need to lodge an FIR in case of an accident?

You would need to lodge an FIR in the following circumstances:-

  • Any third party personal injury or death due to an accident involving your vehicle.
  • Any personal injury or death of a paid driver.
  • Any personal injury or death of an owner-driver.
  • Any personal injury or death of a passenger.
  • Any third party property damage.
  • Theft of the entire vehicle.
  • Theft of accessories, stereo-recorders, other vehicle parts.
  • Any loss or damage to the vehicle by miscreants, rioters, terrorists, arsonists, etc.

What documents need to be submitted when I make a claim?

You will need to submit a claim form along with the following:

  • A copy of the vehicle's registration book
  • A copy of the driving license of the person driving the vehicle at the time of the accident.
  • An estimate of the repairs.
  • A copy of the police FIR/panchnama in case of theft or any third party personal injury/death or property damage.
  • If the vehicle is declared a total loss, either due to an accident or theft, you will also have to provide the following documents - RTO transfer papers, original RC book, original Insurance policy, the vehicle's original keys, a no objection certificate from you for transfer of the vehicle, a letter of indemnity on judicial stamp paper and a letter of subrogation on judicial stamp paper.

How long will it take to process my claim?

  • If you take your vehicle to any one of the garages empanelled by us, you benefit from cashless repair service. You simply pay a small sum towards depreciation, consumable items billed by the repairer and compulsory excess. Once your vehicle is repaired, sign the satisfaction voucher acknowledging that you're satisfied with the repairs, and you can drive away without any further hassle. The garage will take care of all the other formalities.
  • Should you take your vehicle to a garage of your choice, you will have to first pay the repair cost and then submit the bills and cash memos to us for reimbursement. We will check the bills and repay you the amount spent on repairing the accident damages only, as per the terms and conditions of your policy.
  • However, if your vehicle meets with a major accident and the repair costs exceed 75% or more of the insured value; the claim settlement process may take up to 30 days.
  • If the entire vehicle is stolen and cannot be recovered, we would use the help of a specialist investigator to try and trace the vehicle, and obtain the necessary documents from the police. This could take up to 60 days and will depend on your co-operation in getting the necessary documents.

What do I do if the vehicle is stolen and the original policy is lost?

First, report the matter to:

  • HDFC ERGO General Insurance,
  • The police.
  • The Road Transportation Office (RTO) where the vehicle is registered. Make sure you obtain an acknowledgement from the RTO on a copy of your letter intimating the loss of the vehicle to them.

Then, call our toll-free helpline 1800-2-700-700 to get a duplicate copy of your policy and for help with filing a claim. You will need to fill in a claim form and submit the police FIR to us, after which an investigator will be appointed to trace your vehicle. Depending on the outcome of the investigations, we will offer you a claim settlement, at which point additional documents may be called for.

What is HDFC ERGO General Insurances role in a third party injury/property damage suit?

We will handle the legal suit from the moment you receive a notification till the case is resolved. We will either settle the case out of court or actively defend the matter at the Motor Accident Claims Tribunal. Your co-operation will be essential in gathering the necessary documentation and mounting a defense - viz. vehicle registration papers, driving license of the person driving the vehicle, police FIR and panchnama, vakalatnama signed by you, your written statement as to the facts of the accident. We will also take care of legal liability and costs awarded by the tribunal. However, we will not be able to help you in the following situations:

  • Where your Insurance policy is not valid, either because it has expired or because the cheque for your premium has been dishonored.
  • The person driving the vehicle at the time of the accident was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • The person driving the vehicle at the time of the accident did not hold a valid driving license to drive the said vehicle.

Will HDFC ERGO General Insurance give me an advance on the basis of a damage estimate?

No, your vehicle must first be repaired, after which we reimburse the amount payable to you or pay directly to the garage in case of cashless settlement under your policy.

What is meant by Total Loss?

Total Loss refers to accident damage to your vehicle where the cost of repairs amounts to more than 75% of the IDV on your policy.

What is salvage and what happens to it?

Salvage refers to discarded parts that are damaged beyond repair and, therefore, need to be replaced. If these parts have no economic value (broken glass, torn plastic, rubber parts), they are thrown away. However, parts like doors, panels, petrol tanks, front forks, etc., do have a residual commercial value. To avoid recycling of such parts that may be repaired and sold as new, these need to be mutilated to prevent malpractices by unethical workshops.